Monday

ALBINOS IN GHANA

My intensions during my holiday was to take pictures of ''interesting'' faces and paint them. And I did find interesting faces, in fact they were very close to me,but not there weren't what I had intended to photograph or paint.
''Interesting'' at the time to me meant; tribal marks, scars, sweaty faces and faces that instantly had an impression on me.

I had no distinct intention to extend on my subject about albinos. However I came across several albinos in Ghana I would like to find and paint. Whiles expressing my thoughts to my family and everyone around me, I realised how deeply rooted the word ''albino'' goes.

Albinos all around the world are met likely to be segregated and singled out,or made aware that they are different. In the eastern part of Africa it even goes as far as superstitious believes. Albino's are thought to have a magical power that provide riches for anyone if their body parts are used for rituals. Albino's are  being hunted, attacked and killed currently in certain regions of this continent.


I had several discussions with people about the difference between ''gingers'' and albinos. People tend to put them in one box and this shouldn't be the case. There shouldn't even be a box for people with such physical characteristics, because they are also human. 

I asked my cousin '' What would you call a white person( e.g. British) with orange hair and freckles; he said ginger. Then I asked ''What will you call a ghanaian with orange hair and freckles;he said ''OFIRI'' meaning ALBINO.


No comments:

Post a Comment